Can I legally date someone while in the process of divorcing my husband?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I legally date someone while in the process of divorcing my husband?

My spouse broke the marriage when he cheated on me 6 times.

Asked on August 21, 2011 Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think that you are asking this question for fear of being accused of adultery and informing us here that your husband cheated first, correct?  Generally speaking, and in these type of matters, the court looks to see what they can consider the "end date" of the marriage, in that the court looks to a date certain for determining issues such as separate property, etc.  If there is a separation agreement or divorce settlement that date signed is generally the date used (and the agreement should state something about dating othersin general terms) or the court looks to the filing of the divorce papers as a date certain.  So I think that if by "process" you mean you have filed and served your husband then you are fine to date.  Good luck with everything. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption