Can I legally break my lease if my house was broken into and belongings stolen?

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I legally break my lease if my house was broken into and belongings stolen?

I came home to 2 locked doors as how I left them; no sign of forced entry. Yet all my belongings/electronics were gone. When the police looked around we noticed that the back window does not have any type of lock whatsoever. We figure that is how the thieves entered. Well it’s been 3 days since and landlord only put in a screw to the window and said, “You know in the summertime you will not be able to open this”. Anyway, my son and I are terrified and I do not even want to purchase more items in fear they will be stolen again.

Asked on November 26, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


eric redman / Redman Ludwig, P.C.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

that is not enough to justify breaking your lease.  make it secure and try to sticck it mout till the end of lease.  if you break the lease you will owe the remaining rent- most likley.  bankruptcy would eliminate that debt if needed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption