Can I leave with the car? How long does it take to get spousal support?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I leave with the car? How long does it take to get spousal support?

Been married since July 3 of this year
Needless to say things aren’t going ok
He financial abused me and is very
controlling. New Link Destination
the fact he told me if
I divorce him he will kill me.
I have no job because he wanted to put
me through school. I can’t survive
without the car at minimum…help

Asked on September 28, 2018 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the car is registered in both your names or in his name only, you can't simply leave with it; you only could if it was your car only. That's legally. Obviously, if you feel your life in danger, you get out of the situation first, then worry about legal niceities later.
What you should do is contact a network or organization for battered or abused women. They can offer you advice and referrals to some or all of: attorneys, to divorce him (and if he has been supporting you, you will be entitled to alimony); on how to get a protective order; to homes or shelters where you can get away safely, if you need to; to agencies or charities that may be able to provide at least temporary financial assistance; on how to apply for any government benefits to which you may be entitled; on how to look for a job; and to counseling. There are resoures out there for women like you, and people who will help--reach out to them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption