Can I leave the county that I’m in with our children to get away from my abusive husband?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I leave the county that I’m in with our children to get away from my abusive husband?

I am a stay at home mom to 2 very young children. I have suffered 8 years of physical, verbal and emotional abuse by my husband, and have always been ashamed to report it. I want to leave to another county where my

family is to have support while going through a divorce and raising children. Can I leave with my two children to another county in the state?

Asked on October 24, 2018 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you and your children are in such a situation then do not worry about moving to another county.  You need to flee somewhere safe.  I think that you are worried about issues with child custody and visitation but in your case there are extenuating circumstances and you need to go.  If your family is who can support you and keep you safe then so be it. The fact that you have not reported the abuse can be an issue but don't worry about it now.  Go seek legal help and take out an Orider of Protection ASAP.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption