Can I keep my home are sue him

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I keep my home are sue him

My fiance and I bought a mobile home together; his name is on the house and my name is on the land and I also made the down payment. I made it with a cashier’s check from my bank stating that it was for a house. All ulitity bills are in my name. Now that we have broken up, he wants me to pay him $30,000 to keep the home. What can I do? What legal rights I have?

Asked on August 12, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If his name in on the house he is an owner of it; if it is only his name (not yours) on the house, it is *only* his home--i.e. it is solely his, even if you provided money for the house. So if he is on the house/title, he either is half owner (if you are also on the house) or sole owner (if you are not) and you will have to buy him out in one way or another. You may wish to negotiate to pay him over time and/or try to negotiate a lower cost. As leverage, if the land is solely in your name, you could kick the house off the land, so you would tell him that if you won't work out a deal you agree to, he can keep the house--but will have to pay to move it elsewhere.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption