can i keep a camp trailer that was abanded on my property and if so how do i get the paper work for it??

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can i keep a camp trailer that was abanded on my property and if so how do i get the paper work for it??

trailer was left over a mounth ago.

Asked on October 6, 2011 under Accident Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there was a camp trailer abandoned upon your property, it is best to report its abandonment to law enforcement in that it may be stolen. Law enforcement will be able to run the trailer's plates and serial number to ascertain who its owner is. The owner may pay a form of a reward to you for turning in the trailer.

Potentially by you turning in the abandoned camp trailer on your property you may end up owning it if no one claims it. If that happens to be the case, law enforcement could assist you in transferring registration from the trailer's current owner into your name.

Under the current situation, unless the current registered owner transfers title to you, you are unable to have it placed in your name.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption