Can I issue a mortgage satisfaction as the executor of the will?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I issue a mortgage satisfaction as the executor of the will?

My mom recently passed away, and she held a mortgage for some property that was
sold. I am the sole executor and heir of her will. When the mortgage is paid in
full, do I have the ability to issue a mortgage satisfaction without going
through full probate? Her total asset are less than 25k, which would allow me
to do small estate probate as long as I can release the mortgage that is owed to
her. Thank you.

Asked on August 17, 2018 under Estate Planning, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The holder of the mortgage instrument, as well as the those that legally stand in his or her place (you), can issue the satisfaction.  However, I would make sure that the Letters Testamentary issued to you allow you to allow same, although I am inclined to think that they do.  Here is a pamphlet to try and help. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption