Can I hold someone accountable about a negative newspaper article that has affected by getting hired?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I hold someone accountable about a negative newspaper article that has affected by getting hired?

I managed an employee who was ultimately terminated. She has filed suit against the company and named me. The local newspaper printed a summary that named me. I have since been looking for a job and an employer would not hire me because of the article. Can I make them remove it or am I do anything for the liable in her suit?

Asked on April 10, 2016 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, unless what was written about you is untrue, you have no legal recourse here. Publishing the name of someone who has been named in a lawsuit is not illegal. This is true even if you have suffered harm as a result.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption