Can I hold my landlord responsible for my water usage used while an irrigation pipe busted?

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I hold my landlord responsible for my water usage used while an irrigation pipe busted?

I turned off irrigation with local water company because I didn’t want to pay water bill. A irrigation pipe busted and local company says I used without contract and I have to pay for over 7000 gallons of water. Can I deduct from rent with proof of usage?

Asked on August 30, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you in fact caused the water pipe to burst and over 7,000 gallons of water was wasted, then under the law you should pay for the excess water usage and not your landlord. After all, you caused the problem, not the landlord. You can deduct from the rent the amount of usage you normal have on an average but such is not a good idea since you are not allowed to do so under the law. Such most likely will simply upset your landlord further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption