Can I have someone stand in for me in a civil proceeding?

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I have someone stand in for me in a civil proceeding?

If I file a civil action against another party, can I have someone represent me in court along side my lawyer. Sort of like a proxy or a legal agent or something?

Asked on April 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your attorney is your legal representative, who will represent you in court.  You can't have a non-attorney representing you with your attorney.  No attorney will agree to such an arrangement because it violates the rules of Professional Responsibility to have a non-attorney as co-counsel which would constitute the unauthorized practice of law.  It would also violate the rules of Professional Responsibility due to fee splitting between an attorney and a non-attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption