Can I have financial compensation from my landlord for my high energy bill?

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I have financial compensation from my landlord for my high energy bill?

I’ve been paying a lot for energy bill last 12 month’s last month they finally change the AC unit (inside and out) for a bigger and brand new one. Even the energy company send me a letter that says my energy consumption is the 96 worst out 100 neighbors; they also say that I overspent about $1500 compared to the average of my 100 neighbors.

Asked on October 10, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you are entitled to a rebate due to the high energy costs of the new air conditioning unit that your landlord placed in your complex depends upon whether the written agreement that you presumably signed with him or her allows for such. Accordingly, I recommend that you carefully read your lease in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed to you by the landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

Most likely the agreement you have with the landlord has no provision concerning excessive energy use by your unit. If so, you need to directly speak with your landlord about the excessive use of energy regarding the airconditioning unit that was just installed in order to see if some changes for the better can result for you and the other tenants in the complex.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption