Can I have a subpoena quashed since I did not personally witnessa crime?

UPDATED: Apr 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I have a subpoena quashed since I did not personally witnessa crime?

My car window was broken and my purse was stolen and my credit card was used to buy gift cards. I have since received a subpoena to be a witness for the prosecution. I was told that the State needs to prove that my card was used without my permission. I am petrified to do this. The trial has been postponed three times already as the defendant keeps firing her attorney. I know the defendant has the right to face her accuser but what are my rights besides not showing up and possibly being held in contempt?

Asked on April 2, 2011 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The issue here is not that you were a witness to the crime but that your credit card was taken without your permission. The facts as you have described are not sufficient to quash a subpoena or have the prosecution drop you as a witness, especially if the main issue in the crime is using your credit cards without your permission. If you have an attorney, talk to your attorney about possibly being deposed or being interviewed outside of the courtroom (perhaps by video) because of your fear. And yes, you would most certainly be held in contempt for not appearing based on a subpoena and the court may be forced to issue a bench warrant for your arrest. Bottom line, nothing good can come from not appearing. You should discuss your options and perhaps even speak with the prosecution about your fear.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption