Can I have a police officer escort to me to my property?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I have a police officer escort to me to my property?

Tenant knows my husband and i live in japan becuse of our military service. She has not paid rent in 2 months and I finally was able to fly in yesterday. She changed her phone number last month and we haven’t been able to contact her without sending someone to the home and talking to her through their phone. She refuses to give us the right number. So I served her yesterday with a 10 day notice to pay or quit. I also let her know that I tried to text her but her phone isn’t on and that I would be by the tomorrow to do an inspection around 10:00. I had my maintence guy with me. She said she wouldn’t let me and that I had to give her better notice but I think that 24 hour verbal notice should be good enough, especially since she;s changed her number without me being able to get in contact with her. I want to call the police to escort me to the property so that I can get inside my home without trouble from the tenant. Am I allowed to do that?

Asked on January 6, 2019 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can and should call them to ask whether they will help with this, but they are not required to do so. Some police departments (e.g. in Newark, NJ, where I practice a lot of landlord-tenant law) are good about helping landlords in this way, others, not so much. But there is no penalty or cost to asking for police help, so we encourage you to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption