Can I go to jail or lose my license if I can’t pay all of a requested settlement amount at once but have arranged monthly payments?

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I go to jail or lose my license if I can’t pay all of a requested settlement amount at once but have arranged monthly payments?

I had a police office ram into me in the process of me slowing to get out of the way. If I would have slammed on brakes and stopped in the middle of the road other vehicles would have been involved. I did not have insurance at the time of the accident. I had more damages to my car than the police officer. They sent me a bill in the amount of $5,600. I asked for a break down because It didn’t even cost that much for me to repair my car. Now they are threatening to suspend my license or take “other drastic measures” if I can’t make larger payments.

Asked on September 1, 2011 under Accident Law, Mississippi


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In some states in this country if you are the legal cause of property or personal injury damages to someone arising out of a motor vehicle accident and you do not have vehicular insurance at the time for the automobile that you were driving to compensate the person who received property and personal injury damages, your driver's license could be taken away until you pay off those damages is full under statute.

You are in an unfortunate situation. You had no insurance for your auto when the accident occurred and worse yet, accident that you were involved in was with a police officer. Most likely the incident report places the entire blame for the accident upon you.

I suggest that you make an earnest effort to try and work out a written agreement for the total amount owed with monthly installments with the police department to resolve the siutation so you can keep your driver's license from being suspended.

You also need to place insurance on your vehicle.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption