can I go to jail for a debt i owe?

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can I go to jail for a debt i owe?

I have a judgent in the amount of $ 5,000.00 for an uppaid debt. The attorney for the bedt collector is demanding me to fill out a financial statement. If I do not fill it out they are stating they will have me arrested. Can they have me arrested?

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Yes. You would not be going to jail for the debt, you would be going to jail for contempt of court.  It is standard collection procedure, on a judgment, for this kind of post-judgment discovery, your creditor is looking for some way to get paid.  You have a legal obligation to complete the statement honestly, in the time allowed.  Not doing it is about the same as not showing up in court when you've been noticed.

If you have any reason to believe that your rights are being violated, or simply for a detailed explanation of your rights, based on all of the unique facts of your case, you need to talk to an attorney in your area.  Your telephone book should have a listing for the bar association's lawyer referral service, and another place to find a lawyer is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption