Can I go to jail for statutory rape 14 years after the fact?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I go to jail for statutory rape 14 years after the fact?

I’m 34; my child’s mother is 29; our daughter is 13. My child’s mother told me when she was 15 that she was 17. I was 20. I took an order of protection out on her for my daughter. So now my child is in my custody, soshe’s mad she’s threatening charges of statutory rape. Can I go to jail?

Asked on February 18, 2012 under Criminal Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Given the great amount of time that has passed since the alleged statutory rape happened with your child's mother (14 years) and given the underlying civil issues concerning the daughter, I doubt that the district attorney's office would be intrerested in filing criminal charges against you.

Most importantly, the chances of proving the charge against you seems to be time barred by your state's statute of limitations on the subject claim. I would not be overly concerned about the threats against you for statutory rape.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption