Can I go outside the country while I am file for naturalization?

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I go outside the country while I am file for naturalization?

I know I have to be here for biometrics and interview, but is that OK go to another country at that period?

Asked on September 11, 2011 under Immigration Law, California


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is all right for you to travel outside the United States once you have submitted your application for naturalization to the USCIS.  However, as you note yourself, you do have to be in the US for the biometrics appointment, which can be sometime around 2-4 weeks after you file your application, and for the interview, which can be anywhere from 3-5 months after the filing.


Additionally, the regulations state, in part, that you have to establish that you have resided continuously within the United States from the date of application for naturalization up to the time of admission to citizenship.  This means that you are still required to be a permanent resident of the US during this time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption