Can I go back on an offer to sell an item?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I go back on an offer to sell an item?

I moved out of my apartment two days ago
and my landlord was going to purchase my
washer and dryer for 200. I left them
there. He has sent me a check, but I’ve
decided I no longer wish to do business
with him. I have not received/cashed the
check. Am I allowed to rescind my offer?

Asked on August 2, 2019 under Business Law, Maine


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot rescind the transaction: the agreement between you, even if unwritten or oral, was a contract; he performed his obligations by sending you the money; you are therefore contractually obligated to perform your own obligations and sell the items. You left the items for him: he may legally keep them and you cannot get them back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption