Can I gift my grandaughter money who in turn gifts it back to her parents to buy a home?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I gift my grandaughter money who in turn gifts it back to her parents to buy a home?

I am giving my family 45,000 to help them with their down payment on a new home.
15,000 each to my daughter, her husband and her daughter. The maximum tax free
gift is 15,000 this year. If I just gave the 45,000 to my daughter I would
have to fill out a tax form which I am trying to avoid. By my gran daughter
immediately gifting her gift I would avoid the tax report if that is legal.

Asked on April 30, 2018 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

This is a risky thing to do and is not recommended.
Technically, a person may "regift" money gifted to them, and the gift limits vis-a-vis each person are calculated separately. However, as you can imagine, the IRS looks askance at people trying to circumvent their rules by coordinating with others. If this gets onto the IRS's radar screen and they conclude that you used your granddaughter as a "straw person" to circumvent the gift limits, you could face penalties.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption