Can I get written up for leaving the shift without my relief being on time?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get written up for leaving the shift without my relief being on time?

For the past 4 weeks at work on Sundays, there has been issues with managment finding coverage for the shift after me and my co-worker, we work 4 pm to 12 am and the next shift is from 12 am to 8 am. So we usually contact our manager on duty which they’re supposed to come cover us if no one showed up but they ignore the phone calls so my co-worker and I been leaving at 12:15 am. Yesterday, they wanted to write me up for leaving without someone being present at the shift even though I contacted our manager every time. Can I sue my company?

Asked on September 15, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, actually you can. The fact is that a company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit (absent some form of actionable discrimination). This means that it can require that you do not leave your work station until relief has arrived. The only cause of action you would have here is if your treatment violates the terms of an employment contract or union agreemt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption