Can I get US citizenship as I was arrested for simple battery?

UPDATED: May 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get US citizenship as I was arrested for simple battery?

I was arrested for a simple battery about 1 1/2 years ago. However, my case went through a pre-trial diversion and eventually got dismissed. The arrest record was also got expunged. I got my green card 4 years ago. Could this arrest lead to a future deportation? I traveled outside of US after that and I was asked about the incident/arrest at the US port of entry and Homeland Security let me in without any further question.

Asked on May 23, 2012 under Immigration Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Since your criminal conviction was expunged (eliminated) which was for simple battery (presumably a misdemeanor) there should be no impediment as to you getting United States Citizenship over the matter that you have written about.

Had you been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude (theft) or a felony, you would be having a problem seeking United States citizenship under our immigration laws.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption