Can I get the insurance company to continue paying for a rental?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get the insurance company to continue paying for a rental?

I’m looking to see if I have any options. My car that I had for 3 1/2 weeks was involved in an accident. The other guy is at fault. We both have the same insurance company, State Farm. The insurance company gave me a rental to use while they were determining either to fix my car or cut me a check for total loss. They determined they were going to cut me a check and now they need the rental back. However, since I only had the vehicle for a short time, the title isn’t in my name yet even though I applied for it the day after I bought it. They won’t give me any money until it’s in my name and they have the title and won’t let me continue to use the rental even though this wasn’t my fault someone hit my parked car I had just bought. Any advice? Any way I can get them to keep letting me use rental until we get the title?

Asked on December 17, 2018 under Accident Law, Maine


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Even though you and the other driver have the same insurer, you need to think of them as separate insurers, because State Farm's duty to you on your insurance policy (assuming you have the relevant coverage) is very different from their duties as the other driver's insurer.
1) Assuming your insurance policy has rental reimbursement or coverage, yhou are entitled to whatever rental coverage--no more and no less--that the policy (which is a contract) gives you by its plain terms. Check what your policy says about a rental, to see what you are entitled to; if the insurer will not give you 100% of what the policy says they must, you could, if you deemed it wortwhile, sue them for "breach of contract" for violating their contractual obligation(s) to you. This also means that if they have paid out all the rental coverage in your policy, you are not entitled to any more.
2) However, the other driver's insurer has NO obligation to you--only to its insured. It only must pay you compensation if you sue the other driver and win; they may choose to make or offer payments without you first suing and winning, but if they do, that is voluntary on their part and would be something they do because they believe it cost effective (i.e. they think they will pay less if they pay you something voluntarily now, rather than forcing you to sue, which requires them to spend money on legal bills, then having to pay you later anyway after you win the case--they generally do this if they feel you have a strong case, so fighting is pointless). 
The above means that if State Farm was not paying for your rental as part of your policy but rather as compensation from being the other driver's insurer, it was voluntary for them to do so and you can't force them to extend you more rental coverage. You can sue their driver if you overall are not being offered what you think is fair or appropriate, but that would be your only option--to sue the other driver and try to win in court, proving that you are owed more money than you are receiving.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption