Can I get the court to force my sister to sell our mother’s house?

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get the court to force my sister to sell our mother’s house?

It has been 2 1/2 years since our mother has died. The house needs to be sold as is and our sister wants money from us to fix up the house to sell it.

Asked on August 3, 2013 under Estate Planning, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the problems that have resulted.  A little more information is needed here to determine the next steps.  HAs the estate been probated and the proeprty transferred to the heirs?  If the answer is yes then the heirs can file a partition action against your one sister (this is an action that ass the court to split the asset but in the case of real proeprty that generally means it is ordered sold and the proceeds split) if you have a basis, and if it is a financial hardship it could be the basis. You can also ask your sister to buy you out.  If I have not interpreted the question properly please let me know.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption