Can I get sue for the accident even if I pay the person for the damage?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get sue for the accident even if I pay the person for the damage?

last weekend I was involved in a car accident which was my fault but there was minimal damage done to the other car only a dent and no damage to my car, I did suggest not to call the police and just settle everything thru the insurance I gave the guy my License my policy card and registration, The guy still call the cops long story short the cops basically New Link Destination
ld the guy it was best for me just to pay for the damage because it was minimal damage and that his insurance and mines would go up and I would get a ticket So he suggested to pay him 300 We both agree. So I did Now the guy is calling me asking for more money and threatening to sue me.Can he sue me and what should I do in this case?

Asked on October 10, 2017 under Accident Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Don't pay the other driver any additional amount.  If he does sue in small claims court, if you can provide evidence that you have already paid for the damage, the court is not going to allow him to collect twice.
 If you and he had signed a mutual release of all claims when you paid $300, that would have prevented him from demanding more money or filing a future lawsuit.
Another option is to refer the matter to your auto insurance company and let your insurance handle it.  Yes, your premiums will increase since you were at fault in the accident, but you will no longer be bothered with the other driver.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption