Can I get out of this criminal damage to property?

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get out of this criminal damage to property?

I bought a former gf a tv and washer and drier thinking we were someday going to get married. We broke up, I got angry and broke the items. She has no proof that I gave them to her except they were in her house. I have receipts. If I go about pleading not guilty will I get out of this? I am undecided what to do. If I plead guilty I have all this stuff on my record and me and her stay friends basically. If I plead not guilty I will probably lose her. What do you think?

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You really need to have a criminal lawyer in your area review all the facts.  Including the embarrassing ones, especially the embarrassing ones.  That will give you a true understanding of your options, and what is likely to happen if you plead not guilty, as far as the trial goes, and whether or not pleading guilty makes sense.  One place to look for counsel is our website,

While I'm not a Wisconsin attorney, the law of gifts, in most states, doesn't require anything in writing, it depends on all the facts.  Here, you put three large appliances, not the sort of thing you carry around, in her home.  That looks like you've given her complete control of them, and that's all that's really needed for a gift.  You can't un-gift it afterward, the appliances became her property.

Whether having this on your record is worth the woman's friendship -- that's just not a legal question, that's a very personal one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption