As a co-signer, how can I get out of an auto loan?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As a co-signer, how can I get out of an auto loan?

I co-signed on an auto loan for my boyfriend in 11/08. In 03/10 he left with the car. In 11/10 I found that he had stopped paying for the car loan (in 08/10). And now the car is no longer running. The title is in his name only. He has no permanent residence and rarely answers my phone calls. He refuses to sign the title over to me, or to agree to a voluntary repossession. In other words, he is being completely uncooperative. Is there any way that I can get out of the auto loan? I cannot afford to make payments now that I am down to one income, and I can’t refinance alone.

Asked on January 3, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you almost certainly cannot get out of the loan. The other parties to the contract--that's what a loan is, at heart; a contract--would have to agree to allow you out. Even leaving aside yoru ex-boyfriend, the bank has no incentive or reason to do this; allowing you out of the loan increases the risk of default for them, since it removes a person from whom they could seek payment. You may well have grounds to sue your ex-boyfriend--for his share  of the payment, or possibly for the car--but if he has no permanent residence, the car isn't working, and he won't even answer the phone, it's not clear what you could recover. You should contact an attorney to discuss the matter--most lawyers will talk to you initially for free, to see if there is a case, and you need someone to listen to all the circumstances in detail to advise you as to what you could or should do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption