CanI get out of a time sharethat Ibought if there werefees that were not fully disclosed to me?

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI get out of a time sharethat Ibought if there werefees that were not fully disclosed to me?

I bought it about 4 months ago. I was OK with the monthly payment but now I received a $1000 maintenance fee that I did not know about. I have good credit, but I am 68 yrs. of age and this is going to present a hardship on me. I do want to keep my good credit.

Asked on January 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

So what you are saying is that there was no documentation that you signed that said that there was a maintenance fee associated with the time share?  I think it would be best for you to take the paperwork to an attorney in your area to review.  I am thinking that you did not have anyone review it before you purchased it, correct?  Then it is a good idea to do so now and to see if there was anything you missed or there was anything that they overlooked telling you before.  The contract that you signed is binding and they will hold you to it.  If the fee was disclosed to you and it was overlooked then maybe it can be worked out in your favor by incorporating it in to smaller payments (maybe in to the monthly fee?).  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption