Can I get out of a sellers contract in Pennsylvania if I can’t find another home to purchase

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get out of a sellers contract in Pennsylvania if I can’t find another home to purchase

Tried to find another home and can’t find one.

Asked on September 2, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot, unless the contract specifically stated that you could terminate the sale & contract without penalty if you could not find another home to purchase. Otherwise, your problem in not finding another home is *your* problem, not your buyers, and you are contractually obligated to go through the sale, regardless of the consequences to you. If you don't, they could take you to court and likely get a court order forcing you to sell, and possibly get monetary compensation, too. 
Unfortunately, our contractual obligations are not affected by problems or issues in our own lives. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption