Can I get out of a 3 day old lease agreement?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get out of a 3 day old lease agreement?

I signed a lease on 07/27. Upon examining the downloaded agreement on 07/28, I read it and saw that the representative stated that the lease was for 1 year but the lease says 2 years. Also, I will not be occupying the apartment and did not know that I was signing in agreement to a 2 year lease and not a 1 year agreement. I tried to invoke the

Asked on July 30, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) If you signed the lease, then the law presumes you read it and agreed to what you signed: therefore, that you may have misread it as to the duration is irrelevant. You are held to what you signed.
2) That you will not occupy or take possession of the unit is also irrelevant: the law doesn't care if you live their, sublet it, AirBnB it, use it to store possessions, leave it empty, etc. What you do with the apartment you rent is your business, so long as you don't violate the lease.
3) Not seeing the "senior clause" to which you refer, we cannot state whether it will allow you out of the lease. We can say that contracts and their various terms or provisons are enforceable as per their plain terms, so if this provision does, in your situatino, allow you to terminate or void the lease, you can do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption