Can I get my wife’s baby off my insurance?

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get my wife’s baby off my insurance?

My wife had a baby from another manand conned me into putting the baby on my insurance because he does not have any. I’m about to divorce her but wanted to know if I can get the baby off my insurance? She lives in another state.

Asked on November 27, 2011 under Family Law, North Carolina


L.P., Member, Pennsylvania and New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Thank you for submitting your question.  Matters dealing with custody and paternity, and the areas in between can be very complicated.  Each state handles this area of law differently.  However, the common theme for child custody matters, including which parent can be held responsible for obtaining health insurance for the child, focuses on the theory of “the best interest of the child.”  While relationships between the parents can become tumultuous, the court does not want relationships that did not work out or drama between the parents to affect the child.  The courts will set forth custody and child support agreements so that the child can get the best care possible, which can include where the child is enrolled in school, health insurance, and numerous other factors. 

While your question may be about health insurance, you may need to take a number of steps before being able to remove the child from your insurance.  This greatly will be affected by how your state defines paternity.  If at the time the child was born you were married, it is assumed that the child is fathered by the husband of that marriage.  You may be able to get a paternity test to prove that the child is not biologically yours, but that still may not have the courts rule that you are not financially responsible for the child.

Given that this matter can involve a number of steps that you would need to take in order to get the result you desire, you may find your stress alleviated by contacting a family law attorney in your area that specializes in paternity and child support.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption