can I get my settlement payment changed to a lower amount due to less work and a lot less money made?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can I get my settlement payment changed to a lower amount due to less work and a lot less money made?

I have to pay my ex 24000 per year for five years. I am in
the cattle and cranberry business and both have taken a
beating this year and last. I have to dump a third of my crop,
and beef prices are a lot lower. If I am forced to sell my
ranch I will get nothing, and the she and the bank will get
the rest. Can I get my payment reduced because of this? It is
pay once a year.

Asked on November 9, 2017 under Family Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If it was ordered by the court, you *may* be able to get your payment reduced if you can convince the court that the reduction in your income was unavoidable, beyond your control, and not something you can quickly or readily adjust to or make up for. You will have to bring a legal action--i.e. file a motion--to ask the court to consider the circumstances and a reduction.
However, you used the term "settlement." If you voluntarily agreed to this payment (rather than having it be determined by a judge), you are unlikely to get a reduction. Courts hold people to their contracts and other voluntary agreements. You can try, but the odds of success are lower--unless you can get your ex to agree to a reduction, or at least deferment, of the payment; with her consent, you can get a decrease or delay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption