Can I get my “mug shot” taken down off of a Sheriff’s website?

UPDATED: Apr 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get my “mug shot” taken down off of a Sheriff’s website?

I was not prosecuted for the charges I was arrested for. The prosecutor gave me a letter that said that they are not filing charges. The Sheriff’s dept. tells me that my “mug shot” is public information. This is affecting my job and I want it removed. Can a lawyer get it removed for me?

Asked on April 26, 2012 under Criminal Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the sheriff's department will not remove your "mug shot" voluntarily from its website where you were arrested but not prosecuted let alone convicted of any crime which is the basis of your photograph, then you will have to retain an attorney to represent you in getting the "mug shot' removed.

In this country, people are presumed innocent until proven guilty of a criminal act. With respect to your matter, you were never convicted of the crime where your mug shot was taken. Whether the "mug shot" is public information or not, your appearance in the website puts you in an awkward position and creates a negative inference as to you. Possibly the retained attorney (suggest a criminal defense attorney) may be forced to file a petition with the court for an order requiring your photograph's removal from the website.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption