Can I get my money back if I cancel an affair at a catering hall over a year in advance and the room has been re-booked?

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get my money back if I cancel an affair at a catering hall over a year in advance and the room has been re-booked?

I scheduled an affair over 10 months ago but had to cancel the affair a month later. I put an initial deposit down and made 1 payment before cancelling. The owner of the establishment will not give me my money back and said that he would give me credit towards an event. He has provided no service to me at all and I gave over 12 months cancellation of the event. He has my $2,700 and I want it back. Can he withhold it from me?

Asked on July 29, 2011 New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Read the written contract (assuming you have one) between you and the catering hall. Its terms will set forth the obligations that you and the catering hall owe each other for the event you booked. Hopefully there is a provision abaout refunds and cancellation policies. If there is one, read it carefully.

However, if the room has been booked by the catering hall after you cancelled your reserved date for the same date you had, there is no reason why the catering hall should refuse to return your deposit of $2,700.00.

Yiu gave a 12 month notice of cancellation. A replacement was booked presumably at the same cost that you were to pay. You should be able to get your money back. Write a letter asking for the money to be paid by a certain date. If not paid, perhaps filing an action against the catering hall in small claims court is an option?

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption