Can I get my money back from a debt consolidation company

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get my money back from a debt consolidation company

This comapny did not settle any of my debt and claims they will not reimburse. They tolde there was nothing they could do and I am getting summonsed to court. What can I do?

Asked on June 2, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It is unfortunate to hear that the setlement company didnt do any good for you is keeping the money.  I would need to see the contract with the debt settlement company to determine whether you are entitled to any refund.  the chances is however, that you are not entitled to a refund as they did work for you but were just not successful.  I suggest hiring a lawyer to help you.  the lawyer can negotiate with the creditors for a reduced amount of money. This is the easiest way to get this done and finalized.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption