Can I get my money back

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get my money back

I got married oct.5 in Hawaii and I live
in Colorado. My husband decided to
retire and sent his social security
papers in before marriage and I found
out after. We talked about it but I did
not know he did it. I paid off the
mortgage on his home with the sell of
mine. I have been out a lot of money. I
work two jobs and he is sitting home.
There is other issues but what are my
chanc3s of getting my money so I can

Asked on November 14, 2017 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There are a LOT of "ifs" here that you will need to sit with an attorney and go over in order to be able to decisde if the funds are recoverable in a divorce situation.  So when you paid off his house was it with the intent that it becamse the marital home?  Was your name placed on the deed?  So if it were sold you would be able to trace the funds from the sale of your separate property to show the court?  See where this is going?  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption