Can I get my license back when my suspension is up?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get my license back when my suspension is up?

I got a DWI and my license was suspended for 6 months for refusing the breathalyzer.

My suspension is supposed to be up at the end of the month but my court date hasn’t even been scheduled yet. Does that mean I can get my license reinstated when my suspension ends?

Asked on October 11, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

After your suspension is up, you can get your license back.  The DPS will most likely require you to pay a fee to have it reinstated-- but you still have the right to reinstatement.  If you are eventually convicted of the DWI, your license will be suspended for another period of time as part of the punishment.  If it is suspended again, you can file a petition for a occupation license (also called hardship license), which permits you to drive for limited purposes like work and transporting children to school.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption