Can I get my insurance company or get the hospital to eat the cost if the hospital never submitted the claim to insurance?

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get my insurance company or get the hospital to eat the cost if the hospital never submitted the claim to insurance?

The date of service was over 2 years ago and the bill was sold to collections. hospital says they never had my insurance info. I provided them with my insurance information on the very day of my son’s treatment via phone. They state all bills were sent to his father’s address, not his or mine so we never received anything, nor did we receive anything from collections. I am the the insurance provider for my son. This mess was learned when my son recently tried to acquire a student loan and was denied.

Asked on January 23, 2014 under Business Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

At this point, you need to file a consumer complaint with your state attorney general and state medical board. You may need to hire an attorney to get this all sorted out. Your insurance would not be responsible as it never received the claim. So you may need to get a lawyer to at least represent you briefly with initial communications with hospital counsel or billing.  Ensure all of your credit is repaired and include damages for your son being denied a student loan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption