Can I get money owedfor an electric bill that was left in my name when I moved out that my ex-boyfriend did not pay?

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get money owedfor an electric bill that was left in my name when I moved out that my ex-boyfriend did not pay?

I used to live with my ex-boyfriend and I had the electricity in my name; I moved out over a year ago. There wasn’t an issue with the electric being in my name because he was paying it, until the past few months when he started getting behind. I made several attempts to call and try to get it turned over to his name, but was unsuccessful. Then I called and found out the service was disconnected with a balance of $481.16. I cannot afford this, as I am a single mother with no child support. So I was wondering if there was anything that I can do?

Asked on August 26, 2011 Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the electricity bill was in your name for the unit that was being rented and you then moved out of the rental leaving your former boy friend in the unit and you failed to advise the utility company that you did not want to be on the utility bill form that day forward, you unfortunately are on the hook for the electricty bill totalling $481.16 that your former boy friend did not pay.

Your options at this point is to try to get your former boyfriend to pay this $481.16 amount or work out an agreement with the utility company to pay down the amount on a monthly basis.

In the future, when you are ending an obligation you need to contact the person or entity that the obligation is owed, advise it of the end and follow up with a written commnication confirming the call keeping a written copy for future reference.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption