How canI get money from my grandma’s Will early?

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How canI get money from my grandma’s Will early?

Grandma passed in 2006and her Will states when I’m 30 I start getting money she left for me. However it also says if that if I need some for emergency purposes that I can ask the executor for some money and that he can give it to me at his discretion. The executor is my grandma’s husband and we don’t really talk.  I’m 19 years old and want to go to school and insure my car and stuff. What should I do?

Asked on June 13, 2011 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Executors are bound by the terms of the documents which distribute assets, just as trustees are bound by the terms of the documents which create their trusts. If you feel that an executor or trustee is not honoring those terms, you could sue him, bringing an action in court for a declaratory judgment (a court order "declaring" what the terms of the will, etc. mean) or injunctive relief (an order to do something); you  may also be able  to get a different person appointed to control the money. However, if the will gives  him discretion, this may be difficult--"discretion" means at his judgment, and does not require him to actually accede to your requests. If this is important to you, you should consult with a trusts and estates attorney to see what your rights and options are.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption