Can i get kicked out right away?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i get kicked out right away?

I’m looking to my boyfriend’s uncle’s house
with my boyfriend we have been living there
for about 5 months paying bills I have
receipts I get mail there I fix up the house
along my boyfriend ever told his uncle I was
living there his uncle found out and wants me
out ASAP can he do that

Asked on March 18, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Based on what you write, you are not renting the home. You rent pursuant to a lease, whether written or oral (unwritten); a lease is a contract; a contract is an agreement; there can be no agreement if the homeowner did not even know you were living there, since how could he agree to rent to you if he didn't know you were in the home? Therefore, this is not a rental situation; you are at most a "guest" (nontenant; not a renter) of the uncle and a guest may be asked to leave at any time, for any reason. So yes, he can make you leave; you have no right to live in another person's home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption