Can I purchase a full policy on my son’s car even if I’m not on title?

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I purchase a full policy on my son’s car even if I’m not on title?

My son does not have insurance on his car. I drive the car and want to get full auto coverage on the car.

Asked on October 12, 2011 under Insurance Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Only the owner of a car can purchase insurance on it, so you may not insurer your son's car--though nothing at all stops you from providing him the money to pay for insurance. He would still take the policy out, but you'd fund it.

Depending on his age and your respective driving records, you may find it advantageous to see if he'll sell you the car for some nominal amount, then you'd insure it in your name and let him drive it--that may get you a much better insurance rate.

Note that your son is taking a *tremendous* risk by not having insurance--if he's in a car accident, he could be wiped out financially. One way or another, you need to find out how to get insurance on whatever he is driving.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption