Can I get into trouble for taking children out of a dangerous situation if I’m not a family member?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get into trouble for taking children out of a dangerous situation if I’m not a family member?

My daughter has 2 friends who live in a home where drugs are used. New Link Destination
night they called me to come and pick them up from their house where there biological father was trying to punch one of his children in the face. Their mother is also on drugs and told them if they were to leave she would report them as runaways. She also said since they left she is going to report me for kidnapping. Is there anything I can do to help these kids? Can I get in trouble for taking them out of

a dangerous situation?

Asked on March 8, 2019 under Criminal Law, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is advisable to contact Child Protective Services to have the kids removed from their unfit parents.
You won't get into trouble for taking the kids out of the house because your defense is necessity, which means that you are preventing a greater harm (child abuse) if the kids are left in the house.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption