Can I get in trouble for dating a 16 year old if I am 21?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get in trouble for dating a 16 year old if I am 21?

The mother of my 16 year old boyfriend is saying that she is getting a restraining order against me so we can’t even talk to each other. Can she do this or will is drop when we go to court because he wants to be with me?

Asked on August 23, 2011 Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I know that he may seem mature for his age and that you and he may have feelings for each other that are strong, but do not let them take over our sense of reason here.  If you continue to pursue a relationship with him while he is still a minor and his parents press charges against you, any conviction of a sexual offense could result in your having to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life.  Think about that: you are only 21 years old.  In answering your question can they get a restraining order?  Yes.  Will the court listen to him at the hearing?  No.  Can they have you arrested for violating it?  Yes.  Please.  Think about this with your head and not your heart. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption