Can I get in Trouble for kidnapping, unlawful imprisonment, or child luring?

UPDATED: May 25, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 25, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get in Trouble for kidnapping, unlawful imprisonment, or child luring?

My daughter’s friend has reported to her on several occasions abuse going on by her mom.I called the school twice to report these allegations.I’m a mandated reporter because I have a foster care license.This girl called my daughter using another friends phone saying she was stranded at the school and she wasn’t allowed home.I took my daughter down there to talk to her.She said my mom doesn’t want me home.She wanted to go to my home and call the police.We notified the police right away.later on the police phoned me saying the mom is pressing charges and he said it is going to prosecuting attor

Asked on May 25, 2009 under Criminal Law, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I remember your case.  Frankly, on the facts stated I think that you will be alright.

Chances are the prosecutor will not bring charges but since  the mother has made a compliant they are obliged to investigate.

However, while I do not think that you are in the wrong you should speak with a criminal attorney in your area.  If money is an issue call the public defender or legal aid.  I wouldn't speak with the authorities without a lawyer present; you could innocently say something that might in some way cause you trouble.

Personally, sounds as though you did the right thing here.  Reminds me of the saying, "No good deed goes unpunished".

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption