Can I get in trouble for using my former employer’s debit card if they authorized it and gave me the PIN number?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get in trouble for using my former employer’s debit card if they authorized it and gave me the PIN number?

We agreed on pay back and now she’s saying it wasn’t authorized. She’s called the police and they’re investigating. She also said she would except $750 out of what she owes me at this I sent her a cashier’s check. She says all she authorized was $750. Once she cashes that does it become more if a civil matter?

Asked on August 1, 2013 under Criminal Law, Colorado


Maury Beaulier /

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can be charged with theft.  Your defense, of course, is that they consented to the use.   You should retain counsel before making any statements regarding this matter. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption