Can I get GC through my Auntfirst cousin to my MOM?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get GC through my Auntfirst cousin to my MOM?

I am from India and on H1B since Feb 2015 and it will expire in Aug 2020.
I want to know if my Aunt can apply for GC for me. I have 2 aunts in New york ,
both are real sisters , one has no children.

Asked on February 14, 2018 under Immigration Law, Georgia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, an aunt is not a qualifying relative for p urposes of a family based petition.  However, if you are working for a US employer, perhaps you can speak to the employer about sponsoring you for an employment-based green card on the basis of your work position with the company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption