Can I get charged for anything if my car was driven into a ditch, there were no witnesses, and I wasnt at the site?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get charged for anything if my car was driven into a ditch, there were no witnesses, and I wasnt at the site?

My resume was in the backseat so the police
have my address and phone number, but they
have no proof of anything. They visited my
house the same night in which I wasnt present.
They have left me a voicemail in which I
havent responded to.

Asked on January 22, 2018 under Accident Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can be charged if there is evidence to connect you to the incident. If you have not reported the car as stolen and, in response to any police questioning, do not identify someone whom you had permitted to drive that night (and which person will not effectively contest or challenge that they were driving), then they could charge you: if it was your car and it was neither driven with your permission by anyone else nor stolen, then it logically, even necessarily, was driven by you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption