Can I get arrested for having a past drug deal text messages?

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get arrested for having a past drug deal text messages?

My friend just got arrested because he did score some. And let me clear – the stash didn’t come from me. The police did check his phone and I’m just worried that I might get arrested if the police did see our past transactions. I don’t have any weed on me now.

Asked on October 15, 2018 under Criminal Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can be. If the messages provide evidence that you possessed, purchased, and/or sold drugs anytime within the last 5 years (5 years is the "statute of limitations," or time within which prosecution must be commenced, in your state for drug offenses), then you could be arrested. Any evidence of any crime within the relevant statute of limitations can serve as the basis for arrest and charges; the crime does not need to be  current or ongoing one. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption