Can I get an annulment?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get an annulment?

Hello there I have been married to for
about 2 years. I got married in
California but left the next day to move
to Texas for work. We have not been
together since and the marriage was
never consimated do to my past history
since I was raped at 14 and was too
nervous the night of the marriage. Also
the guy lied to me about his faith. He
told me he was a Christian but that
turned out to be a lie. Please help.
Thank you.

Asked on October 7, 2017 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since the marriage was never consumated, you can obtain an annulment if you live in Texas and if the other spouse will consent to jurisdiction in Texas.  Mostly likely, if the two of you have been separted for two years, this should be a relatively easy and agreed process.  It's similar to filing for a divorce, but without the sixty day waiting period that comes with divorces.
If the otherside does not live in Texas and will not consent to jurisdiction in Texas, then you may have to file in the state of your spouse's current residence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption