Can I get alimony if I entered the marriage in good faith but left the household because of fearof my husband’s son?

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get alimony if I entered the marriage in good faith but left the household because of fearof my husband’s son?

My husband brought me to the States and we have 4 years of marriage but has a felon son living in the same household. He took part in violent robbery incidents. He does not like me and menaced me once stating not to mess with him. He uses weapons and posts scary things on facebook. My husband does not take any action towards his son’s behavior and justifies everything he does, he pretends me to live there and does not want to take any steps towards our marriage, no matter how many times I told him I was scared. He allows him being lazy and doing whatever he wants. I love my husband but I am afraid his son might kill me.

Asked on January 10, 2012 under Family Law, Colorado


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to speak with a lawyer. Period. You need to trust this attorney so research carefully because this attorney will need to help you get restraining orders against the son and possibly the husband. Your issue with alimony does not really deal with what your stepson does or does not do. It is an issue of the length of the marriage, whether you worked during the marriage, the type of lifestyle to which you were accustomed during the marriage. Essentially, in most states, four years is not considered a long term marriage and therefore, you may just be ordered to split assets.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption